Hey there backpackers and welcome to my post where we will check out my three best backpacks with wheels for some rolling fun this year. If you’re someone who is often out and about with plenty of gear in your backpack, then an option with wheels can undoubtedly be the way to go.
These ingenious creations combine the ease of a traditional backpack with the smooth mobility of wheels, making your journeys a breeze. So for those of you looking for a good wheeled backpack to assist your your daily travels, I have had a good look around and come up with three decent options below.
Let’s check them out…
My Three Recommended Backpacks with Wheels
I will review these in more detail below however if you want to get moving without all the carry-on, my recommended products are listed here for your convenience:
What are Backpacks with Wheels?
In simple terms, a backpack with wheels is just that – a normal backpack with a handle at the top and wheels at the bottom. This addition allows users to wheel them around much as you would a suitcase. These backpacks offer a plethora of benefits that cater to the modern traveler’s needs and lifestyle. Here are some compelling reasons why you should consider buying a backpack with wheels:
- Ease of Mobility: One of the primary reasons to choose a backpack with wheels is the convenience it provides in transporting your belongings. Instead of carrying the weight on your back, you can effortlessly pull your bag behind you, making it ideal for navigating busy airports, train stations, or crowded city streets.
- Versatility: A wheeled backpack combines the best of both worlds – the flexibility of a traditional backpack and the convenience of a rolling suitcase. You can carry it on your back when the terrain is not suitable for wheels, and switch to rolling mode when it’s more convenient.
- Reduced Physical Strain: Traditional backpacks can put a significant strain on your shoulders and back, especially if you’re carrying heavy loads for extended periods. With wheels, you won’t have to bear the weight on your body, reducing the risk of discomfort and potential injuries.
- Ample Storage Space: Most wheeled backpacks are designed with ample storage space and organizational compartments, allowing you to pack efficiently and stay organized throughout your journey.
- Travel Efficiency: A backpack with wheels streamlines your travel experience, enabling you to move swiftly and efficiently through various transit points. This can save you time and energy, leaving you more refreshed and ready to enjoy your destination.
- Cabin-Luggage Friendly: Many wheeled backpacks are designed to meet airline carry-on size restrictions, making them a practical choice for avoiding checked baggage fees and the hassle of waiting at baggage claim.
- Multi-Purpose Use: Whether you’re going on a weekend getaway, an extended vacation or even a business trip, a backpack with wheels can adapt to your needs and accompany you on various occasions.
- Space-Saving Design: Unlike traditional suitcases, wheeled backpacks can be easily collapsed and stored when not in use, saving you valuable storage space at home.
- Stylish and Professional: With a wide range of designs, materials and colors available, you can find a wheeled backpack that not only suits your practical needs but also complements your personal style or professional image.
What Should You Be Looking For?
The following factors should be considered as you look around for a good wheeled backpack to suit your travel needs.
- Size and capacity
- Wheel design and maneuverability
- Ergonomics and comfort
- Security features
Size and capacity
The size of the wheeled backpack determines its overall dimensions, while the capacity refers to how much space it offers to carry your belongings. Larger backpacks with more extensive dimensions generally offer more room for your belongings, making them ideal for travelers who require a significant amount of space for clothing, toiletries and other items. On the other hand, smaller backpacks are suitable for shorter trips or for those who prefer to travel light with only the essentials.
For air travelers, airline carry-on compliance is a crucial factor. Many airlines have specific size limitations for carry-on luggage and choosing a wheeled backpack that meets these dimensions allows you to bring it into the cabin with you, avoiding checked baggage fees and reducing the waiting time at baggage claim.
Personal comfort is another aspect tied to the size and capacity of the wheeled backpack. Opting for a backpack that is too large or excessively heavy can strain your shoulders, back, and neck, leading to discomfort during your travels. Finding a balance between enough space and manageable weight is essential for a comfortable journey.
Durability is influenced by several aspects of the backpack’s construction and materials. Look for backpacks made from high-quality and robust materials, such as durable nylon, polyester or ballistic nylon. These materials are known for their resistance to tears, abrasion and general wear and tear, ensuring that the backpack remains intact even after extended use.
Reinforced stitching is another crucial aspect of durability. Strong and well-sewn seams contribute to the backpack’s overall sturdiness, preventing the straps, handles and other critical areas from unraveling or becoming damaged over time.
Wheel design and maneuverability
High-quality wheels ensure that the backpack glides effortlessly, reducing the strain on your arms and shoulders while allowing you to maneuver through various terrains with ease. Look for options with durable and well-constructed wheels, designed to withstand the demands of frequent rolling on different surfaces.
Robust wheels are less likely to wear down quickly, providing you with a reliable and long-lasting travel companion. Additionally, the choice of rubber materials enhances the smoothness of the rolling motion while minimizing noise, preventing distracting sounds during your journey.
The wheel housing also plays a part in maneuverability as sturdy and well-designed wheel housing prevents the wheels from wobbling or misaligning, ensuring a smooth and stable rolling experience. It also contributes to the overall durability of the backpack, as secure wheel housing reduces the risk of damage or malfunction.
Ergonomics and comfort
For those times when the wheels are not in use, backpacks with padded back panels and shoulder straps offer cushioning and support against your back and shoulders. The padding not only adds comfort but also helps distribute the weight of the backpack more evenly, reducing the risk of soreness or discomfort during prolonged wear.
Adjustable shoulder straps are another crucial aspect of ergonomics and ventilation features in the back panel is essential for preventing excessive sweating during hot weather or strenuous activities. Mesh or padded back panels with airflow channels allow air to circulate and keep your back cooler and drier.
The handle design also contributes to the comfort of a wheeled backpack. An ergonomic telescoping handle with multiple height adjustments ensures that you can find the most comfortable position for rolling the backpack without stooping or stretching.
Whether it is wheeled or not, a well-organized backpack means that you can easily find what you need without having to rummage through a messy bag. Look for options with various compartments and pockets to hold a variety of items such as computers, tablets, clothing, toiletries and accessories to keep things organized and avoid them from becoming jumbled up during transportation.
The presence of several smaller compartments on both the inside and exterior of the backpack is also beneficial. These compartments are great for storing small goods like chargers, pencils, passports, wallets and keys so that you can readily reach them when required.
Consider wheeled backpacks with organizing features like pen holders, key clips, and mesh pockets. These little but clever enhancements help keep everything in its proper location, saving you time and hassle when traveling.
Check out these: Backpacks for Commuting
One essential security feature to look for is lockable zippers as these allow you to use your own padlock to secure the main compartment, preventing unauthorized access and deterring potential thieves. This is particularly valuable when traveling in crowded areas or using public transportation, where pickpocketing may be a concern.
Anti-theft design elements can also enhance the security of a wheeled backpack. These elements may include hidden pockets or compartments that are not easily visible to others, providing a discreet space to store important items like passports, money, or credit cards. Additionally, slash-resistant materials or panels in the backpack’s construction offer added protection against theft attempts.
For added security, some backpacks also come with RFID-blocking pockets. These pockets are designed to protect your credit cards, IDs, and passports from unauthorized scanning or electronic theft.
Other potential additions include:
- Colors: Colors may seem like a superficial consideration, but they can have a significant impact on your overall experience with the backpack. Opting for a backpack with a color or design that you find visually pleasing and personally appealing can add a touch of style and personality to your travels.
- Cosmetic bag: The cosmetic bag provides a dedicated space for storing toiletries, skincare products, makeup, and other personal grooming items. This feature not only keeps your cosmetic essentials neatly organized but also prevents spillage and leakage, ensuring that your other belongings stay clean and free from any potential mess.
- Wheels cover: A wheels cover is a practical addition that serves to protect your backpack’s wheels during transit and storage. When you’re not using the wheels, the cover acts as a shield, preventing them from coming into direct contact with other surfaces and minimizing the risk of damage or wear.
What are the advantages of using a backpack with wheels?
Backpacks with wheels offer a range of benefits that make them a popular choice for both frequent travelers and daily commuters. One of the main advantages is their versatility, as they provide the option to be carried on your back or pulled along on wheels, adapting to your preference and the terrain. These backpacks also reduce strain on your shoulders and back, particularly when carrying heavy loads over long distances, making them more comfortable for extended travel.
Are wheeled backpacks suitable for outdoor activities and hiking?
While wheeled backpacks excel in urban settings and travel scenarios, they may not be the ideal choice for rugged outdoor activities or extensive hiking adventures. The main reason for this lies in their limitations on different terrains. Wheeled backpacks are designed for smooth, flat surfaces, such as pavements or airport floors, and are not well-suited for rough terrain like rocky trails or uneven paths typically encountered during outdoor excursions.
My Three Recommendations Broken Down
So based on the information above and my own experience, I recommend the following options:
1. MATEIN 17 inch Water Resistant Wheeled Laptop Backpack
This versatile backpack with wheels is designed to cater to the needs of both men and women, offering a plethora of features that make it an excellent choice for business trips, college, weekend getaways, and more. See its specifications below:
- Brand: MATEIN
- Material: Durable polyester fabric
- Colors: Black, blue, and floral
- Capacity: 36 liters
- Weight: 4.9 pounds
- Dimensions: 19.6 X 13 X 9 inches
- Packable straps
- Sturdy hooks
Why have I chosen it?
This backpack boasts a well-thought-out design with multiple compartments to keep your belongings organized. The built-in separate laptop pocket is capable of accommodating laptops up to 17 inches, as well as 15.6-inch, 14-inch, and 13-inch MacBooks. The 36L large main compartment provides ample space for your clothing during trips, while the second zippered file compartment helps you organize important documents.
Constructed with durable polyester fabric, metal zippers, and a waterproof bottom panel, this rolling backpack is built to withstand the rigors of travel. The water-resistant bottom panel, corner guards, and kick plate protect the bag from abrasion, ensuring its longevity and the lockable metal zippers add a layer of security, allowing you to protect your valuables from potential thieves as well.
2. ZOMFELT Rolling Backpack with Wheels
Next in line is a wheeled backpack with a 2-in-1 design and a flight-friendly size that also includes a toiletries bag, making it a fantastic pick for travelers looking for simplicity and variety on their vacations. Whether you’re boarding a plane, going on a weekend excursion, or commuting for work, this rolling backpack will work well. See its specifications below:
- Brand: ZOMFELT
- Material: Durable polyester fabric
- Colors: Beige, black, and purple
- Capacity: 40 liters
- Weight: 4.4 pounds
- Dimensions: 16 x 3 x 11 inches
- Multi pocket system
- Anti-slip wheels
Why have I chosen it?
This second option features a dedicated 17-inch laptop cabin and a 12.9-inch PAD cabin with thick foam padding to protect your devices during travel. The main compartment offers ample storage space for personal items and the built-in elastic bands help keep your clothes secure as well.
Designed to meet most airlines’ carry-on luggage regulations, including popular carriers like Delta, Southwest and United Airlines, the addition of a toiletry bag provides greater convenience during your travels too.
3. RUCYEN Rolling Wheeled Backpack
My last recommendation is a feature-rich backpack with wheels that offers a perfect balance of style and practicality, making it an excellent choice for business travelers, frequent flyers and those who enjoy impromptu trips as well. See its specifications below:
- Brand: RUCYEN
- Material: Durable polyester fabric
- Color: Black
- Capacity: 40 liters
- Weight: 5.8 pounds
- Dimensions: 22 x 14 x 8.5 inches
- Removable wheels
- Wheel covers
- Bottom guard
Why have I chosen this?
With this backpack, you get the best of both worlds – a rolling suitcase and a comfortable backpack. The backpack is equipped with aluminum alloy rods, anti-pulleys and a hidden shoulder strap allowing you to effortlessly switch between the two modes.
The smooth and quiet rubber wheels, along with the hidden wheel cover design, provide added convenience during use and the quick-access pocket is perfect for storing essential items such as wallets, mobile phones, passports and cards, ensuring easy access at any time.
Made from durable, tear-resistant, and dirt-resistant polyester fabric, it is also built to withstand the demands of frequent travel. The double zipper design, thicker bottom plate, and reinforced sewn shoulder straps can carry relatively heavy loads with ease. The plastic panel corner guard at the bottom and the rear cover pad provide robust protection for the reliable rubber wheels too.
There you have it, my three best backpacks with wheels. And as usual, let me know of your experiences with them.
Also, please do not hesitate to comment below if you have any questions, concerns, or corrections or would like me to check anything else out for you.
Until next time.