Hello there fellow backpack enthusiasts and welcome to my Osprey Atmos AG65 backpack review. Now, as you are probably aware, when it comes to travel , hiking or anything else that needs a backpack, there are quite a number of options to choose from to make things just that little bit easier. And in that, there are always two essential truths:
- There are a great number of variations of every piece of equipment, electronic device and/or accessory that you could be looking for.
- Everybody has an opinion on which of these variations is best at any given time – which is generally due to the fact that that particular item has helped them make their travel experience just that much better.
So with that in mind, one thing I have tried to do on this site is review the products I use, as well as the ones that are popular at the moment to give you an idea of what may work for you as you head out for your latest adventure.
Hence, for this review, I will run you through:
- What the product is
- How it works
- What I bought if for
- Pros and Cons
- My recommendations
The Osprey Atmos AG65 Backpack
The Osprey Atmos AG 65 Backpack excels in terms of performance and versatility, making it an ideal choice for a wide range of backpacking trips and outdoor adventures. The Anti-Gravity™ suspension system, combined with the adjustable harness and hipbelt, effectively transfers the weight of the pack to the hips, reducing strain on the shoulders and back. This design feature helps maintain a balanced and comfortable carrying experience, even when tackling challenging terrain or carrying heavier loads.
The Osprey Atmos AG 65 incorporates several standout features that enhance its versatility for various outdoor activities. One notable feature is the removable top lid compartment, which allows users to downsize their pack for shorter excursions or day trips, providing added flexibility. The backpack’s hydration compatibility with an internal reservoir sleeve and tube-routing system enables easy access to water during intense activities as well.
The multiple pockets, compartments and attachment points offer convenient storage and organization options for gear and essentials making them adaptable for activities such as hiking, trekking, camping, and even travel.
Check out my: Osprey Daylite Plus Daypack Review
What Do You Get?
|Model||Atmos AG 65|
|Price||See price at Amazon|
|Color||Blue, green, and black|
|Dimensions||Small and Medium available|
|Other Features||As Below|
The key features of the Osprey Atmos AG 65 Backpack include:
- Anti-Gravity™ Suspension System: The standout feature of the Osprey Atmos AG 65 is its innovative Anti-Gravity™ suspension system which combines a lightweight yet robust frame with a tensioned mesh back panel, creating a suspended, breathable, and comfortable experience. The tensioned mesh evenly distributes the weight of the pack, reducing pressure points and allowing for unrestricted movement and the frame also effectively transfers the load to the hips, minimizing strain on the shoulders and back during long hikes.
- Adjustable Harness and Hipbelt: The Osprey Atmos AG 65 offers an adjustable harness and hipbelt, allowing for a personalized fit. The harness can be easily adjusted to accommodate different torso lengths, ensuring optimal comfort and load stability. The hipbelt is padded and contoured, providing excellent lumbar support and helping to distribute weight efficiently.
- Ample Storage and Organization: With a generous 65-liter capacity, the Osprey Atmos AG 65 provides ample space for all your gear and essentials. The backpack features multiple pockets, compartments and attachment points allowing for efficient organization. The top lid pocket, front stretch mesh pocket, and dual hipbelt pockets provide easy access to frequently needed items and the floating top lid can be extended to accommodate extra gear or compressed when not in use.
- Durability and Quality Construction: The backpack is constructed using robust materials that can withstand the rigors of the trail. The main body is made of 100D x 630D nylon dobby fabric, which strikes a balance between lightweight design and durability. Reinforcements in high-wear areas enhance the longevity of the pack, ensuring it can withstand years of rugged adventures.
- Ventilation and Breathability: The Osprey Atmos AG 65 prioritizes ventilation and breathability to keep you cool and comfortable during your backpacking journeys. The tensioned mesh back panel allows for airflow and prevents excessive sweating on your back. The suspended design creates a gap between the backpack and your body, facilitating airflow and reducing moisture buildup. This feature is particularly beneficial in hot and humid conditions, helping to regulate body temperature as well.
- Anti-Gravity Suspension System: This provides excellent weight distribution, making heavy loads feel lighter and reducing strain on your back, shoulders, and hips. It also promotes ventilation, which helps keep your back dry.
- Durability: The Osprey Atmos AG 65 is made with high-quality materials that are designed to withstand tough outdoor conditions.
- Organization: With multiple pockets, compartments, and attachment points, the Atmos AG 65 provides ample storage space and helps keep your gear organized. It includes a removable floating top lid, dual zippered front panel pockets, and dual access side stretch mesh pockets.
- Fit-on-the-Fly Hipbelt: This feature allows for fine adjustments to the hipbelt for a more comfortable and secure fit.
- Integrated Raincover: The pack includes a built-in raincover that can be quickly deployed to protect your gear from wet weather.
- Weight: At roughly 4.5 pounds (empty), the Atmos AG 65 is not the lightest pack in its class. If minimizing weight is a top priority, there may be lighter options available.
- Price: The Osprey Atmos AG 65 can be relatively expensive compared to other backpacks with similar capacities.
- Size: While the pack’s large capacity is a pro for long trips, it might be too large for short outings or for those who pack light.
- Lack of Back Panel Access: Unlike some other packs, the Atmos AG 65 does not offer a way to access the main compartment from the back panel, which means you may need to unpack more of your gear to reach items at the bottom of your pack.
- No Side Zipper: The absence of a side zipper to access the main compartment might be inconvenient for some users who want to quickly access items in the middle of the pack.
How Much Are They?
The Osprey Atmos AG 65 backpack retails around the $250 – $300 mark
Is the Osprey Atmos AG 65 suitable for both men and women?
Yes, the Osprey Atmos AG 65 is available in a men’s version. However, Osprey also offers the Aura AG series, which is specifically designed for women and provides a female-specific fit and sizing options.
How adjustable is the harness and hipbelt of the Osprey Atmos AG 65?
The harness and hipbelt of the Osprey Atmos AG 65 are highly adjustable, offering a personalized fit. The harness can be easily adjusted to accommodate different torso lengths, while the hipbelt can be adjusted to suit various waist sizes, ensuring optimal comfort and load stability.
How durable is the Osprey Atmos AG 65 backpack?
The Osprey Atmos AG 65 is known for its durability. It is constructed using high-quality materials and reinforced in high-wear areas to withstand the demands of rugged outdoor environments.
Do I Recommend it?
Look, the Osprey Atmos AG 65 is generally considered a very good backpack for long-distance hiking and backpacking well-known for its comfort, durability and exceptional load carrying capabilities. It’s designed with high-quality materials and smart features that make it versatile and easy to use.
Key features like the Anti-Gravity suspension system offer excellent ventilation and make heavy loads feel lighter. The pack’s adjustable torso length and Fit-on-the-Fly hipbelt ensure a great fit, which is essential for comfort during long days on the trail. Also, the numerous pockets and attachment points offer plenty of storage options for all your gear.
However, the best backpack for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. While the Atmos AG 65 is excellent for carrying heavier loads and longer trips, it might not be the best choice for lightweight backpacking or short day hikes due to its size and weight. It is also not designed for extreme winter or mountaineering excursions either
It’s also worth noting that Osprey is a reputable brand known for its quality and durability, and they offer an Almighty Guarantee, promising to repair any damage or defect in their product, regardless of when it was purchased.
All in all, as long as it fits your needs, you could definitely do a lot worse that having a look at this one.
So there you have it, my honest review and appraisal of the Osprey Atmos AG 65 Backpack. I hope it has been of assistance but as usual, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out by commenting below. I would also love to hear of your own experience with these.
Are there any other products you have been looking at but want to know more about? If so, please comment below and I will do my best to get some details for you.
Until next time
Have fun and safe travels