Hello there fellow backpack enthusiasts and welcome to my Osprey Talon 22 Men’s hiking backpack review. Now, as you are probably aware, when it comes to travel, hiking or anything else that needs a backpack, there are quite a number of options to choose from to make things just that little bit easier. And in that, there are always two essential truths:
- There are a great number of variations of every backpack, piece of equipment, electronic device and/or accessory that you could be looking for.
- Everybody has an opinion on which of these variations is best at any given time – which is generally due to the fact that that particular item has helped them make their experience just that much better.
So with that in mind, one thing I have tried to do on this site is review the products I use, as well as the ones that are popular at the moment to give you an idea of what may work for you as you head out for your latest adventure.
Hence, for this review, I will run you through:
- What the product is
- How it works
- What I bought if for
- Pros and Cons
- My recommendations
The Osprey Talon 22 Men’s Hiking Backpack
The Osprey Talon 22 Men’s Hiking Backpack The Osprey Talon 22 is a renowned daypack, favored for its combination of comfort, lightweight design and multifunctionality. Ideal for day hikes, commuting or brief outdoor escapades, its 22-liter capacity is ample for daily essentials. The pack weighs just a tad over a pound, depending on its size, which underscores its lightweight construction.
A standout feature is its AirScape Back Panel – a mesh-covered ridge foam structure that ensures both ventilation and support for the wearer. This, combined with the Biostretch Harness and Hipbelt, allows the pack to distribute weight seamlessly, enhancing comfort. Practicality is woven into the design with stretch mesh pockets on the sides for water bottles or quick-grab items, while cyclists will appreciate the LidLock helmet attachment for securing bike helmets.
The Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment is perfect for those who occasionally need to free their hands, allowing for the quick stowing and accessing of trekking poles. Hydration is also a focus, with an external hydration sleeve positioned behind the harness for easy refills, while also ensuring the pack’s contents remain safe from any spills. Other storage solutions include a zippered lid pocket, a front stretch pocket and hipbelt pockets, making organization a breeze as well.
What Do You Get?
|Price||See price at Amazon.|
|Color||Cosmic red, Eclipse grey, Stealth black, Ceramic blue, Limon green|
|Dimensions||Depends upon the size you’ve purchased.|
|Other features:||As Below|
The key features of the Osprey Talon 22 Backpack include:
- Main Compartment: The main compartment of the Osprey Talon 22 is accessed from the top through a double zipper and offers generous space for storing equipment and essentials required for day hiking trips. With ample room, you can comfortably pack items such as a Softshell jacket, thermal underwear, climbing harness, via ferrata set, water and food.
- Inner Zippered Pocket: Within the main compartment, there is a dedicated zippered pocket that is strategically placed relatively high, allowing for easy access even when the backpack is fully loaded. It serves as a secure spot for storing valuables, ensuring that they are easily reachable while providing additional protection.
- Top Zippered Pocket: Located just behind the main compartment zipper, the top zippered pocket offers additional storage for accessories. This pocket is spacious enough to accommodate items such as sunglasses, gloves, a hat or other smaller essentials. It also features a key attachment clip, providing a secure spot for keeping your keys within easy reach.
- Two Zippered Hip Belt Pockets: The Osprey Talon 22 is equipped with two well-placed hip belt pockets. These pockets are designed for easy access without the need to take off the backpack. They offer ample space for storing essential items you want to keep within arm’s reach. You can conveniently store a GPS device, camera, smartphone or other small items securely in these pockets.
- Two Mesh Side Pockets: The backpack also features two mesh side pockets, primarily intended for carrying water bottles, ensuring quick and easy access to hydration. The mesh material provides flexibility and accommodates different bottle sizes.
- Shoulder Strap Pocket: A relatively small pocket is placed on the left shoulder strap of the Osprey Talon 22. This pocket offers convenient storage for small items such as power bars or even a compact cell phone. It also allows you to keep essential items within reach while on the move, eliminating the need to rummage through the main compartment.
- Front Stash Pocket: The front stash pocket is a handy place to hide damp clothes or gear that you don’t want to put in the main area. This pocket allows for quick and easy storage of items that you don’t currently need, without the need to remove the entire backpack.
- External Hydration Sleeve: The Osprey Talon 22 features an external hydration sleeve placed between the back panel and the main compartment. This sleeve is designed to accommodate hydration reservoirs with a volume of up to 3 liters. Unlike many competitive daypacks, the placement of the hydration sleeve outside the main compartment allows for easy refilling of the water reservoir without the need to empty the backpack first.
In addition to storage options above, the Osprey Talon 22 also includes numerous handy attachment points as follows:
Stow-On-The-Go Hiking Pole Attachment System: The Osprey Talon 22 features the Stow-On-The-Go hiking pole attachment system which allows you to easily attach or detach hiking poles without the need to remove the backpack. This system comes in incredibly handy, particularly during via ferrata trips or when navigating challenging terrain.
Ice Tool Holder: This backpack also includes an ice tool holder, designed to securely hold ice axes or other similar tools. While you may not have personally tested this feature, the ice tool holder is designed to be durable and well-designed, ensuring that your ice tools remain securely attached to the backpack during your hikes in icy or snowy conditions.
LidLock Helmet Attachment Point: This hiking backpack is also equipped with a LidLock helmet attachment point. Although primarily intended for biking helmets, this attachment point can be versatile enough to accommodate other types of helmets as well. For example, you can attach your climbing helmet to the backpack by sliding the plastic through the ventilation hole. This attachment point ensures a secure and stable connection, allowing you to conveniently carry your helmet during your hikes without taking up space inside the backpack.
LED Light Attachment Point: The backpack also features an LED light attachment point, primarily designed for bikers who require additional visibility during low-light conditions. It is designed to securely hold an LED light for improved visibility and safety and even if you’re not a biker, this attachment point can come in handy during nighttime or low-light hiking adventures as well.
- Lightweight Design: Being just over a pound, it’s suitable for those looking to minimize weight.
- Versatility: Suited for a range of activities, from hiking and biking to commuting.
- AirScape Back Panel: Offers excellent ventilation, reducing the chances of a sweaty back.
- Comfort: The Biostretch Harness and Hipbelt system ensure even weight distribution and comfort.
- Practical Attachments: Features like the LidLock helmet and Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachments add to its utility.
- Hydration Sleeve: The external hydration compartment is convenient and reduces the risk of water spillage inside the main compartment.
- Organization: Multiple pockets, including stretch mesh pockets and zippered compartments, allow for easy organization of gear.
- Durable: Osprey is known for the durability of its products, and the Talon 22 is no exception.
- Size Limitations: At 22 liters, it might be too small for some users who need more storage for extended trips.
- Price: Osprey products tend to be on the pricier side, which might be a deterrent for some.
- Lack of Internal Frame: While this contributes to its lightweight nature, some users might prefer a backpack with more structural support, especially when carrying heavier loads.
- Limited Padding: Some users might feel that the pack could benefit from more padding in certain areas.
- No Rain Cover: The backpack doesn’t come with an integrated rain cover, so one would need to be purchased separately if required.
How Much Are They?
The Osprey Talon 22 backpack retails around the $120 – $170 mark
Can I use the Osprey Talon 22 for activities other than hiking?
Absolutely! While it excels as a hiking backpack, the Osprey Talon 22 is versatile and adaptable to various outdoor activities. It is suitable for trail running, cycling, and other adventure pursuits, thanks to features like trekking pole attachments and an external hydration sleeve.
Is the Osprey Talon 22 waterproof?
While the Osprey Talon 22 is made with water-resistant materials, it is not fully waterproof. It can withstand light rain showers and splashes, but it is recommended to use a rain cover or pack your belongings in waterproof bags for added protection during heavy rainfall.
Do I Recommend It?
The Osprey Talon 22 Backpack stands out as a top-tier choice for outdoor enthusiasts and daily commuters alike. Its lightweight design combined with the AirScape Back Panel ensures that users experience optimal comfort and ventilation. The backpack’s adaptability, demonstrated by its diverse set of practical attachments and organizational features, speaks to its well-thought-out design, making it fit for a variety of activities.
While every product has its limitations, the Talon 22’s cons are minor when weighed against its substantial benefits. Osprey’s reputation for durability further adds to the backpack’s appeal. For those seeking a versatile, comfortable, and reliable daypack, the Osprey Talon 22 is a commendable option.
So there you have it, my honest review and appraisal of the Osprey Talon 22 Backpack. I hope it has been of assistance but as usual, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out by commenting below. I would also love to hear of your own experience with these.
Are there any other products you have been looking at but want to know more about? If so, please comment below and I will do my best to get some details for you.
Until next time
Have fun and safe travels